Key Public LawsThe Indian Health Care Improvement Act of 1976 (25 U.S.C 1601, et seq.) and the Snyder Act of 1921 (25 U.S.C 13) comprise the basic legislative authority for the Indian Health Service. Listed below are these Acts along with several other Acts which give Congress appropriations for the Indian Health Service.
- Snyder Act, 25 USC 13 [PDF - 60KB]
- The Indian Health Care Improvement Act This is a link to the IHS's Indian Health Care Improvement Act site, in its entirety. See the section entitled "437" as Codified in 1996, for the statutory language. This statutory language is available by title, for easier access and retrieval. Under this Indian Health Care Improvement Act site are other materials and information for understanding the Legislative History (evolution) of this important enactment.
- Alaska Native and American Indian Direct Reimbursement Act, Public Law 106-417 [PDF - 117KB]
- Indian Special Diabetes Program Act, 42 USC 254c-3 [PDF - 77KB]
- Transfer Act, 42 USC 2001 [PDF - 38KB]
- Indian Health Facilities, Public Law 85-151 [PDF - 25KB]