Health Issues - Vaccine-Preventable Diseases
Submitting Test Files to Immunization Information Systems (IIS)
To meet meaningful use requirements for public health:
- Medicare eligible hospitals and critical access hospitals (CAH) need to use a certified EHR to successfully send one valid HL7 test message from their certified EHR system to a state immunization registry by 9/30/2011
- Medicare eligible professionals (EPs) need to use a certified EHR to successfully send one valid HL7 test message from their certified EHR system to a state immunization registry by 12/31/2011. Sites with multiple EPs need only test once.
- Medicaid eligible hospitals, CAHs and EPs need only adopt, implement, or upgrade an EHR system in their first year of participation.
This Meaningful Use measure is part of a menu set of measures related to improving population and public health. All EPs and hospitals must choose at least one of the population and public health measures to demonstrate as part of the menu set.
- Demonstrate capability to submit electronic data to immunization registries
- Demonstrate capability to submit electronic data on reportable lab results
- Demonstrate capability to submit electronic syndromic surveillance data
Any RPMS facility choosing to attest for this menu set item should utilize the RPMS Immunization Package and install the IHS Immunization Interface Management software (BYIM) v. 2.0*1 or later. The BYIM software extracts immunization data from the RPMS Immunization Package and creates a batch HL7 2.3.1 export for the IIS. Contacting IIS personnel to configure your RPMS system to direct these messages is required.
The following map shows the data exchange status and ability to attest for each state.
The following is a list of states, by Area, and the data exchange status and ability to attest, for each. States are listed as:
EXEMPT - State does not accept HL7 messages or does not have electronic interface capability. RPMS facilities are unable to choose this measure from the menu set list and must select the lab reporting or syndromic surveillance MU measures.
MUST ATTEST - The state can accept HL7 immunization messages. All RPMS facilities choosing to attest for this measure must submit a test message to the immunization registry (IIS).
This guidance was developed by the IHS Immunization Program in conjunction with the Area MU Consultants and state IIS personnel using the best available knowledge. It is recommended that you confirm with your Area/local Meaningful Use or State CMS contacts whether attestation will be a requirement for your facility.
Aberdeen Area [Word-14KB]
Iowa | Nebraska | North Dakota | South Dakota
Alaska Area [Word-12KB]
Albuquerque Area [Word-13KB]
Colorado | New Mexico
Bemidji Area [Word-17KB]
Illinois | Michigan | Minnesota | Wisconsin
Billings Area [Word-12KB]
Montana | Wyoming
California Area [Word-13KB]
Nashville Area [Word-17KB]
Alabama | Louisiana | Mississippi | Rhode Island | Connecticut | Maine | New York | South Carolina | Florida | Massachusetts | North Carolina | Texas
Navajo Area [Word-13KB]
Arizona | New Mexico
Oklahoma Area [Word-13KB]
Kansas | Oklahoma
Phoenix Area [Word-14KB]
Arizona | California | Nevada | Utah
Portland Area [Word-13KB]
Idaho | Oregon | Washington
Tucson Area [Word-12KB]