FEB 13 1996
FROM: Acting Associate Director
SUBJECT : Delegation of Authority for Approval of Reduction in Force, Purlough, and Changes to Cmpetitive Areas
Authority Delegated and to Whom
1. Pursuant to the authority delegated to the Associate ,Director, Office of Human Resources (OHR), Indian Health Service (IHS), by the Director of Headquarters Operatons on FEB 12 1996, I hereby delegate to the Director, Division of Personnel Management, OHR, for IHS Headquarters organizations, except the Office of Health Program Research and Development, the following authorities:
a. To approve Reduction in Force (RIFs)
2. The above authorities may not be redelegated.
3. In cases of furloughs, or RIFs involving separation of employees, written notification of the proposed action must be received by the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Human Resources (DASHR) before specific notices are issued.
4. No prior approval is required to effect personnel actions resulting from transfers of function. However, when the transfers involve the movement of employees to other commuting areas, the DASHR must ba notified in writing before transfer offers are made to employees.
Information and Guidance
5. Written Notification of the proposed actions of 3. and 4. above must be submitted to the DASHR by the Director, DPM OHR, before specific notices are issued.
6. Requirements and instructions for exercising this authority are contahmd in Health and Human Services "(HHS) Personnel Instruction 351-1, Reduction in Force (RIF), dated October 25, 1995, and must be used in conjunction with subsequent HHS instructions, related materials issued by the Office of Personnel Management, 5 Code of Federal Regulations Part 351, and any other requirements and regulations issued for employees entitled to Indian Preference.
8. This delegation is effective upon date of signature.
/Robert G. McSwain/ Robert G. McSwain
Back To Top | Previous Page