TO: Director of Headquarters Operations
SUBJECT: Delegations of Authority to Establish Workweeks and Work Schedules
Authority Delegated and To Whom
1. Pursuant to the authority delegated to the Director, Indian Health Service (IHS), by the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Health Management Operations, Public Health Service (PHS), on July 19, 1994, as continued in the recent title change on March 28, 1995, to Deputy Assistant Secretary Management and Budget), published in the Federal Register (60 FR 18846) on April 13, 1995, I hereby delegate to the Director of Headquarters Operations (DHO), for employeeswithin the IHS, including headquarters and field employees, the authority to:
a. Establish or change the working hours for full-time employees.
b. Make exceptions to the basic workweek of five consecutive 8-hour days Monday through Friday for fill-time employees in the organization in order to establish work schedules to begin on any day of the week, or to establish the first 40 hours of duty performed within a period of not more than 6 days in the administrative workweek of Sunday through S aturday as the basic workweek.
c. Establish work schedules for part-time employees.
d. Make an exception, on an individual case basis, to the established work schedules of fill-time employees for educational purposes or under other circumstances when such exception is considered to be warranted.
e. To establish for pay purposes a regularly scheduled administrative workweek other than Sunday through Saturday.
f. Make assignments to tours of duty when shift or rotational tours are required.
Redelegations and Restrictions
2. The authorities delegated in paragraph 1. above may be redelegated with further redelegation authorized.
Information and Restrictions
3. Requirements and instructions for exercising these authorities are contained in 5 U.S.C. Chapter 61 and 5 CFR Part 610.
4. This delegation supersedes the delegation of authority contained in the Indian Health Manual, Part 1, Chapter 5, Delegations of Authority, Exhibit l-5.2F-2, Establish Workweeks and Work Schedules, dated September 12, 1986.
5. This delegation is effective upon date of signature. In addition, I hereby affirm and ratify any actions taken by my subordinates, which, in effect, involved the exercise of the authority delegated herein prior to the effective date of this delegation.
/Michael Trujillo/ Michael H. Trujillo, M.D., M.P.H Assistant Surgeon General
Back To Top | Previous Page