Small, informal meetings are usually for staff within your office. The goal of small meetings is to have an in-person meeting with your staff and to build camaraderie.
- Set start and finish times and keep to them, but understand that people may be coming late or leaving early. Make them brief, but not too broken up. Cancel if you don’t really need to meet – if there is no purpose.
- Minimize interruption by doing the following:
- Get someone to be on call during the meeting
- Turn off cell phones and pagers
- Establish rules about computer use
- Remind people of their delegated responsibilities and that you will ask for reports by a certain time, then do it!
- Ending a meeting is important: Summarize, and ask if there is any lack of clarity about what has been decided.
- Let everyone know when the next meeting is and who is responsible for which action items for the next meeting.
- Send out the notes of decisions made, delegated responsibilities, topics to be covered in another meeting and timelines within the next two days.