Meetings provide opportunities for participants to interact and network with each other and provide information on the latest developments in health care, which in turn, can enhance overall patient care. Meetings also provide an important opportunity for training rather than being just breaks from work.
To create an effective meeting:
- establish and clarify rules of the meeting, e.g. no cell phones, BlackBerry’s, etc.
- establish and identify the goals of the meeting.
- consider the timing of activities and lectures. Consider how your participants will feel before lunch, after lunch, etc.
- make them interesting, effective, and high-energy. Incorporate ways to present information rather than "top-down talking" with too many talking heads or using only PowerPoint.
- use small groups for very short periods of time with a specific task.
- plan interaction by having something for people to respond to, such as asking questions to guide discussion.