Some IHS public health professionals, particularly those with prior federal employment, choose to join us through the Civil Service personnel system. This entry path offers career flexibility, generous federal employee benefits, and does not require a multiyear commitment.
- Competitive starting salary and benefits
- Eligible for transfer after 2 years
- 13 days paid vacation to start
- 10 paid Federal holidays
- Annual continuing education*
- 13 days sick leave per year
- Comprehensive retirement program
- Comprehensive health care
- No-cost malpractice coverage
- No overhead expenses
- Thrift savings (contributory) retirement plan with government match
- Up to 5 years of retirement credit transferable to employment with Commissioned Corps
*While continuing education in a variety of fields is available at all sites, cost reimbursement may vary.
- US citizenship
- Negotiable employment commitment
- PAs employed by the IHS must be certified by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants and must maintain that certification throughout their employment with the IHS.
- No age requirement
- No physical required