What are the keys to a successful EHR implementation
The implementation of any new software means adopting work-flow process, training, and support for individual users as they tackle the learning curve. Steps include:
- Make the decision to implement EHR
- Obtain a firm commitment from leadership and medical staff buy-in
- Obtain the necessary financial/human resources to successfully implement EHR
- Create an EHR implementation team to include representatives from every department
- Complete the EHR site questionnaire to notify both the Office of Information Technology (OIT) and the California Area Office of your interest and commitment
- Appoint a EHR project manager to manage the transition process
- Determine how Clinical Application Coordinator (CAC) responsibilities will be carried out and initiate the hiring process as needed.
- Subscribe to the EHR List Serv and plan to send key staff to EHR training
- Develop a plan for training and support of new users
- Plan for a minimum of 9-12 months to prepare and successfully begin implementation of EHR.