- IHS Home
- IHS Remote Access - Citrix VPN
IHS Remote Access - Citrix VPN
Welcome to the Indian Health Service Citrix VPN information page. The purpose of this page is to provide you with basic information about the use of the new Citrix VPN system.
A Virtual Private Network, or VPN, lets employees access the IHS computer network from anywhere in the world. The IHS has recently begun using a VPN system based on Citrix Technologies.
This website is intended for IHS and approved associated employees who currently have a VPN account and use VPN to connect to the IHS computer network. (For information about obtaining a VPN account, see your supervisor).
The objectives of the IHS VPN system are to:
- Comply with federal laws and guidelines
- Provide secure (encrypted) communications between the computer you are using and the IHS network
- Use multi-factor authentication (two or more methods of verifying who you are)
- Enable logging and monitoring of all VPN activity
- Provide Emergency Management Program/Continuation of Operations Program (EMP/COOP) emergency access to normal business applications
To meet these objectives, the IHS has transitioned from our current VPN system (Cisco), to the new Citrix-based VPN system. The major difference you will see is that you will no longer have to install and configure an application on your computer. You will now be able get access to your VPN account by logging in through a web page.
You are also required to enter a username and password and provide a second method of verifying your identity. This is called "two-factor authentication." You can verify your identity in one of two ways:
- An Entrust Token
- A phone (landline or mobile) registered with PhoneFactor
More information on two-factor authentication and the options you can use can be found in the VPN User Guide [PDF - 937KB].
For IHS VPN East Users with a Citrix account (BEM, NAS and Rockville Areas only), please continue to your Citrix EAST login here.
For IHS VPN West Users (all other Areas) with a Citrix account, please continue to your Citrix WEST login here.
For a list of Frequently Asked Questions regarding the Citrix VPN system, please see the FAQs for Citrix VPN [PDF - 69KB]. If you have been set up to log in via Citrix but are having issues logging in, please contact the IHS National Helpdesk at email@example.com or at 1-888-830-7280.