If you’re wondering whether a career with the Indian Health Service (IHS) Division of Oral Health (DOH) or a position at a specific IHS or Tribal site is right for you, an IHS externship will give you the experience to help make your decision.
You’ll discover opportunities to work in state-of-the-art facilities in a career position with excellent pay and benefits, a Loan Repayment Program, job stability, potential for advancement, mentoring by experienced staff, and the opportunity to provide much-needed care to appreciative patients. Begin your adventure now by exploring the diverse professional, geographic and cultural experiences that many IHS dentists say have made their careers the envy of their peers. More Information >>
We hope you’re looking forward to joining the upcoming year’s program
Application for the Externship Program are accepted January 2nd through February 28th. Some of the highlights of the 2013 externship program are:
- IHS DOH placed 107 of 207 externship applicants
- Class of 2014 students were granted externships lasting a minimum of two weeks, with most travel expenses covered (up to $2,000 each) with a post travel reimbursement. Items such as the following were covered up to the $2K Budget per traveler:
- Airfare booked and prepaid through Gov Trip
- Lodging up to government rate at sites without housing available
- Daily Per diem for miscellaneous expenses
- Rental cars are not a covered travel expense
- All travelers are placed on Official Government Travel Orders and subject to the rules and regulations governing official travel - travelers are advised regarding the necessary receipts and documentation required for the post travel voucher and reimbursement prior to departure via a travel authorization letter
Externships are available for dental students between their third and fourth years of school within the months of April through September. Class of 2015 students who are willing to pursue an externship of at least two weeks - with travel expense assistance - must complete their applications at the "Apply Now" link below starting January 2nd through the closing date February 28th. Funding for Class of 2015 travel to externship locations will be available for externships scheduled between April 1, 2014 and September 26, 2014. The IHS Externship Travel Information Sheet link below is REQUIRED reading prior to completing the application. The application contains a quiz covering the travel information.
- IHS Externship Travel Information Sheet [WORD - 57K]
- Dental Students in Class of 2015, click here to learn how to apply for a dental externship.
Please register for our Dental Recruitment Listserv to receive periodic updates on this and other IHS programs. Also, like us at Facebook at www.facebook.com/IndianHealthServiceDentalCareers for information about the externship application process. Posted 11-15-2013
If you are selected for a 2013 Externship opportunity, then here are a few documents you may be instructed to download
- IRS W-9 Form (PDF - 250K)
- Invitational Traveler Profile Set-up (WORD - 59K)
- Invitational Traveler Profile Set-up (PDF - 34K)
Links of Interest
To see and hear more about the Division of Oral Health experience please click
here to view different clips of our video Opportunity