HIV is the virus that causes AIDS, and both are growing health issues in our Native population.
Here are some facts:
- CDC estimates over one million people have HIV in the United States (U.S.)
- American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN) are ranked third in the nation for the rate of new infections of HIV when compared with all other races and ethnicities
- HIV is mainly affecting the younger AI/AN population
- Every nine and ½ minutes someone in the U.S. is infected with HIV
- There is no cure or vaccine for HIV/AIDS
What can you do to make sure that you don’t get HIV?
- Know you and your partner’s HIV status
- Practice safer sex
- Use condoms, every time
- Limit your number of sexual partners
- Get tested. You can find places to get tested by:
- Visiting your local IHS, Tribal or Urban facility
- Typing your address, city, state or zip code in the widget on this page