Area ICD-10 Coordinators
List of Area ICD-10 Coordinators
Area ICD-10 Coordinator Roles and Responsibilities
The Area ICD-10 Coordinator is an integral part of the implementation effort to transition from ICD-9 to ICD-10 by October 1, 2013. The Area Coordinator will work with IHS facilities, Tribal, and Urban (I/T/U) programs within the Area to ensure a smooth transition.
- ICD-10 point-of-contact within the Area for I/T/U partners
- Coordinator for transition activities within the Area
- Coordinator for impact analysis within the Area and in facilities
- Communicator for status, issues and risks within the Area
- Manager of Area project activities
The Area ICD-10 Coordinator will:
- Participate in ICD-10 Coordinator meetings at the national, regional, and local levels, as needed.
- Expand awareness of the ICD-10 implementation to all regional stakeholders.
- Collaborate with the IHS National ICD-10 Team on communication, issues, meeting deliverables, risk management, coordination of training, software testing, and implementation, etc.
- Collaborate with local facilities on changing business and clinical processes and work flows to minimize potential risks.
- Facilitate Area planning for software, coding, and other testing associated with the transition to ICD-10.
- Ensure creation and execution of Training Plans
- Conduct an impact assessment and aid facilities and programs to conduct assessments
- Report and analyze revenue and other impacts
- Assess Business Associate, Vendor and Third-Party Payer Readiness
- Work to improve clinical documentation
- Plan for recruitment and retention of critical roles
- Work with the Office of Information Technology to support development, testing, and implementation
- Create and manage a risk log for the Area and facilities
All I/T/U facilities will be successfully migrated to ICD-10 by October 1, 2013 through a combination of thorough training, analysis of impacts, software testing and prompt implementation, coder retention and recruitment efforts, and improvement in clinical documentation.