DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
Indian Health Service
Rockville, Maryland 20852
Refer to: ODINDIAN HEALTH SERVICE CIRCULAR NO. 2003-04
Effective Date: 06/05/2003
NATIONAL TECHNICAL ADVISORY GROUP OF THE
INDIAN HEALTH SERVICE
- Effective Date
- PURPOSE. The purpose of the National Technical Advisory Group (NTAG) is to promote office management and executive communication practices that result in the provision of consistent, high-quality, professional staff support for executive staff throughout the Indian Health Service (IHS). The NTAG also promotes organizational values consistent with the IHS mission.
- RESPONSIBILITIES. The NTAG shall have the following responsibilities:
- Ensure quality performance and leadership in Headquarters and all Areas through the implementation of standards, development of programs, and training.
- Serve as advocates for support staff needs and opportunities.
- Provide a professional interface between management and support staff.
- Promote the development of support staff so that they are empowered to reach their highest possible level of performance.
- Develop reference materials and guidelines to improve the quality of support staff products.
- Provide assistance to hospitals health centers/clinics clerical staff to improve the quality of work products.
- RELATIONSHIP. The NTAG members serve as support staff to the executive leadership throughout the IHS and rely upon their support and cooperation. Communication between NTAG members and the executive leadership staff will primarily be one-to-one, i.e., the NTAG member and the respective Area/Headquarters leadership. At times, there will also be more formal communication between the NTAG Chairperson and the Director, IHS, Headquarters Office Directors, or Area Directors. The Special Assistant to the Director shall serve as the NTAG liaison with the Director, IHS.
- MEMBERSHIP. The NTAG membership shall include:
- Special Assistant to the Director.
- Two members of the Headquarters Technical Advisory Group (TAG).
- Executive secretaries (12) to the Area Directors.
- OFFICERS. There shall be a Chairperson and Secretary of the NTAG elected every 2 years from the membership.
- Elections of officers shall be held on the last day of the annual NTAG meting.
- Members shall submit nominations for each office during the election meeting.
- Nominees need not be present to be considered.
- Each nominee must be contacted personally by the nominator and agree to the nomination before the name is submitted for vote.
- In the case of an officer's resignation, transfer, incapacity, or other cause, the members will elect a successor.
- Annual Meetings. The NTAG shall meet annually or at the call of the Chairperson during regular work hours. In addition, the NTAG will hold monthly conference calls.
- Chairperson. The Chairperson shall preside at NTAG meetings.
- Secretary. The Secretary shall:
- Keep and distribute a record of official records of the NTAG.
- Distribute informational materials, notices of meetings, and minutes of meetings to the appropriate individuals.
- Quorum. A quorum of the NTAG shall be at least two-thirds (2/3) of the membership.
- Votes. All actions or resolutions of the NTAG shall be determined by a majority vote of the members in attendance.
- Committees. The NTAG shall appoint a Committee Chair as special projects arise. The Chair may name additional members, as deemed necessary. The committee will dissolve as each project is completed.
- Costs. All travel costs, including per diem, for meetings of the NTAG will be borne by the respective Headquarters and Area Offices.
- REPORTS. An annual report shall be provided by the Chair to the Director, IHS, on the NTAG's progress toward objectives and activities. Feedback from this report will be incorporated into the planning for the following year. The Chair will provide a written report of actions taken at prior meetings to the Director, IHS, Headquarters Office Directors, and Area Directors.
- FUNDING. Headquarters and Area Offices will equally fund NTAG activities. The cost shall include the meeting facilities, speaker fees, training, etc.
- SUPERSEDURE. None.
- EFFECTIVE DATE. This circular becomes effective on the date of signature.
/Charles W. Grim, D.D.S./
Charles W. Grim, D.D.S., M.H.S.A.
Assistant Surgeon General
Back To Top