||Home » How LRP Works » Eligibility Criteria
Are You Eligible?
As a health professional, you are eligible to apply if you:
- Are a US citizen.
- Have a health profession degree or are in postgraduate training or in your final year of a health profession school.
- Have a valid state license to practice in a health profession. Health profession students in their final year of post-graduate clinical
training/school are eligible to apply before obtaining a license. However, you are not eligible for an award until you provide proof of
licensure to the branch office.
- Are committed to practice at an Indian health facility.
- Can begin service on or before September 30 for two continuous years of full-time clinical practice.
- Are not currently receiving funding or fulfilling a service commitment with another federal loan repayment or scholarship program
(for example, National Health Service Corps LRP or Scholarship Program, IHS Scholarship Program, Nurse Corps LRP, etc.).
Back to Top
IHS Health Profession Disciplines
You are eligible to apply to the LRP if you are specializing in any of the following health profession disciplines:
- Acupuncturist: Licensed
- Advanced Practice Nurse — Nurse Practitioner, Certified Nurse Midwife, Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) — priority
consideration will be given to CRNAs.
- Certified Professional Coder: AAPC or AHIMA
- Chemical Dependency Counseling: Bachelor's and master's degree levels
- Chiropractor: Licensed
- Clinical Psychology: PhD and PsyD
- Counseling: Master's degree-level only
- Counseling Psychology: PhD
- Dental Assistant: Certified
- Dental Hygiene
- Dentistry: DDS and DMD
- Diagnostic Radiology Technology: Certificate, Associate and BS degree
- Engineering (Environmental): BS — Engineers must provide environmental engineering services to be eligible.
- Environmental Health (Sanitarian): BS and MS
- Health Records: RHIT and RHIA
- Medical Laboratory Scientist: Associate and BS
- Medical Laboratory Technician: Associate and BS
- Medical Technology: Associate and BS
- Medicine: Allopathic and Osteopathic
- Naturopathic Medicine: Licensed
- Nurse: Associate, BS and MS
- Optometry: OD
- Pharmacy: BS, PharmD
- Physician Assistant: Certified
- Podiatry: DPM
- Public Health Nutritionist/Registered Dietician
- Rehabilitative Services — Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology: MS and DPT
- Respiratory Therapy
- Social Work: Master's degree-level only
- Other health professions as determined by the needs of Indian health programs.
Health care professionals practicing in any of the health profession disciplines listed above are eligible to apply. Please note that funding for these
disciplines can change based on the staffing needs of Indian health programs. The table below shows the number of LRP awards distributed during Fiscal Year (FY)
Awards by Health Profession Discipline Fiscal Year 2011
|Health Profession Discipline
|Contract Extensions (one-year commitment)
||Average Loan Debt
|Other Health Professions
*Physician Assistant/Advanced Practice Nurses
Visit the IHS Careers website to learn more about IHS health profession
Back to Top
Qualified Student Loans
The LRP repays qualified student loans.
Qualified student loans are limited to government (federal, state, local) and commercial loans used to pay for health profession schools and related expenses,
including tuition, fees, books, lab expenses and reasonable living expenses.
A number of federal program loans require documentation, but do not require additional verification since they already meet statutory requirements. These loans
- Health Education Assistance Loan (HEAL) Program
- Guaranteed Student Loan (GSL) Program
- Perkins Loan, formerly National Direct Student Loan (NDSL) Program
- Health Professions Student Loan (HPSL) Program
- Supplemental Loans for Students (SLS)
- Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) Loans
All other loans require lender verification, including loans from undergraduate and graduate health professions schools.
For consolidated loans (health profession education loans combined with commercial, non-health profession or other education loans), only the health profession
portion for the discipline for which you are hired can be repaid by the LRP. Visit the Payments and Examples
page for further clarification on the loan repayment process.
Back to Top