If your loans are not paid in full upon completion of your initial two-year service commitment, the LRP can still help.
You can apply for a contract extension and continue to serve full time at the same site and receive one year of loan repayment
for each additional year of service until your qualifying loans are paid.
Your extension request will be considered if:
- You continue to provide full-time clinical services in your chosen health profession.
- An extension of your service will continue to meet Indian health staffing needs.
- You have qualified health profession education loans NOT fully paid for under your initial contract.
- You can provide official documentation from your lending institution(s) indicating that it applied maximum payments
from your LRP award to your eligible outstanding debt during your service.
- You will remain at your current facility or transfer to a facility with the same or a higher site score than your current facility.
As an LRP participant, you will receive priority consideration for an extension of your LRP award, but you must submit your extension request in writing via
letter or email prior to January 1 of the final year of your LRP contract. If you miss the deadline, you are still eligible to apply for an extension but you will
not receive priority consideration. Unlike initial applications, extensions are granted regardless of a site's score. If you receive an extension, your new
contract will start the day after your current contract expires.
You may apply for multiple extensions until your qualified student loans are paid. Your total period of service cannot exceed the number of years
that it will take to repay the total amount of outstanding qualified student loans at the rate of up to $20,000 per year under the terms of this contract.
Download the IHS LRP Participant Guide [PDF - 470KB]
for information regarding contract extensions.