IHS developed a ranking system to address the goal of filling staff vacancies in Indian health programs when granting LRP awards. This system assigns priority
consideration to Indian health program sites with the greatest staffing needs in specific health profession disciplines. Visit the
Site Scores page for a list of site scores in your health profession discipline.
If everything is equal, applicants who meet one or more of the following criteria will receive priority consideration:
- Current service – Current LRP recipients requesting contract extensions receive priority over new awards.
- American Indians/Alaska Natives – IHS gives priority to applications of American Indians and Alaska Natives
and to individuals recruited through the efforts of Indian Tribes and Tribal or Indian organizations.
- Previous IHS Scholarship Program recipients.
- Current employment in an IHS, Tribal or Urban Indian program.
- Date of availability for service (first come, first served).
- Date the LRP received the application.
Applying to sites that have the highest scores (greatest need) can
improve your chances for selection.
If you do not receive an LRP award, please visit the following websites to explore other avenues for loan repayment: