Indian Health Service The Federal Health Program for American Indians and Alaska Natives
Stage 2 Preparations
Stage 2 builds upon the Stage 1 foundation by increasing targets to performance measures, moving measures from the menu to the core, and adding new measures. To help ensure your success in the EHR Incentive Programs, you can begin now to prepare for these many changes. Listed below are a few ideas to help you get started.
- Monitor current performance – Run performance measure reports on a consistent basis to ensure that EPs and EHs are meeting or exceeding targets and to identify areas in need of improvement.
- Develop a Meaningful Use Team – If your site doesn’t have an MU coordinator or team, identify and create one. Consider including an MU coordinator, a doctor, a nurse, a member of IT and the business office manager.
- Promote MU awareness – Make MU an agenda topic at all meetings. Discuss how MU improves patient care, and review current performance and next steps. Think about posting EP and EH performance measure results on the bulletin board in the break room.
- Performance Measures – Some of the targets for performance measures have increased for Stage 2. Begin to move toward these higher thresholds.
- Confirm your security risk analysis process – Ensure that you have the proper procedures in place to conduct an annual Security Risk Analysis, as it is a core performance measure for MU.
- Public Health Measures – Ensure that your site is able to submit ongoing electronic immunization data to an Immunization registry as well as submit ongoing syndromic surveillance to a public health agency.
- Learn about the Personal Health Record (PHR) – Become familiar with the benefits of the PHR and begin preparing for its implementation.
- Keep current with the latest news - Attend Office Hours hosted by the National MU Team to learn about important aspects of meaningful Use. Learn about upcoming presentations and collaborate with peers by signing up for the MU ListServ on the MU Resources page.