This training and corresponding workbook offer an introduction to the concepts and processes of planning and evaluating a diabetes program. By completing the training, you will be able to use the tools provided for program improvement, learn how program planning and evaluation can help make your diabetes program be more effective and develop plans to evaluate both the implementation (process) and outcomes (results) of your diabetes program.
Why are the changes occurring in IHS Special Diabetes Program for Indians grant programs?
- This is a time of transition and funding requirements are changing.
- The “old” way of doing things focused on reporting program activities.
- Often programs don’t have a guide (a plan).
- Programs don’t collect the right information to show success (an evaluation).
What do the new grant programs need?
- Programs will need to adapt and learn new skills to be accountable and to show results.
- Programs need more than ever a structure for program planning and program evaluation.
- Programs need to use proven effective strategies such as the Diabetes Best Practices.