Career Paths and Benefits
Federal Civil ServiceNurses who choose to join us through the federal civil service can expect a comprehensive package of compensation and benefits. This entry path offers career flexibility and generous federal employee benefits. Because there are no age or physical requirements, the federal Civil Service is an attractive choice for experienced professionals and recent graduates alike.
- Loan Repayment
- Competitive starting salary and benefits
- Negotiable employment commitment: transfer eligibility after two years
- Annual continuing education available at most local sites
- Up to 13 days sick leave per year
- Comprehensive health insurance
- No-cost malpractice coverage
- No overhead expenses
- Comprehensive retirement program
- Thrift savings (contributory) retirement plan with government match
- US citizenship (Note: Under Executive Order 11935, only US citizens and nationals may be appointed to competitive service federal jobs. For more information about citizenship requirements, please visit the Office of Personnel Management.
- Applicant must have active, current, valid & professional nursing license in any State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
- Degree or Diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at time the program was completed by the applicant.
For information about civil service opportunities contact:
Naomi A. Aspaas, BSN, RN
National Nurse Recruiter
American Indians into Nursing Project Officer
Division of Health Professions Support
801 Thompson Avenue, TMP 450A
Rockville, MD 20852
Phone: (301) 443-2362