Sustainable acquisitions refer to environmentally-preferable products and services that have a reduced impact on human health and the environment when compared with competing products or services that serve the same purpose.
IHS utilizes the HHS Affirmative Procurement Plan (APP) as a guide for environmentally preferable purchasing. The HHS APP
[PDF] provides guidelines for an effective green purchasing program that encompasses the use of designated recycled content, Energy Star®, EPEAT®, energy-efficient, bio-based, and environmentally preferable products.
IHS sustainable acquisitions objectives:
- New contract actions, including task and delivery orders for products and services, must be:
- Energy-efficient (Energy Star® or Federal Energy Management Program (FEMP)-designated);
- Non-ozone depleting;
- Contain recycled-content materials; and
- Non-toxic or less toxic alternatives.
- Ensure a continued procurement preference for Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool (EPEAT) registered electronic products.
Want to know more about sustainability and IHS initiatives? Sign up here to receive notices.