Indian Health Service The Federal Health Program for American Indians and Alaska Natives
HIPAA TrainingLearn, Train & Protect
The Indian Health Service's (IHS) Learn, Train & Protect Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) training program includes a number of forms, policies and procedures that you must use and follow to comply with HIPAA Privacy standards. Each of the files in the Forms, Policies & Procedures link below are in .pdf format and can be downloaded and read using Adobe Acrobat® Reader®. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat® Reader® on your computer, you may download it from the bottom of the left menu.
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is required to:
- Provide training to Employees, Volunteers and Contractors
- Provide training to New Employees no Later than 30 Days After Beginning Work
- Provide Department-Specific Training (i.e. Health Information Management)
- Provide Revised Training when Policies are Revised
- Keep Written or Electronic Documentation of Training for Six Years
In order to provide this training the IHS has developed a WEB based training program. At the end of the training program there is a test. When the employee successfully takes the test they can print a HIPAA Training Certificate for their files. Also the names of the employees that have passed the test are maintained in a computer file. If you want to take the training click on the New Employee Training link and follow the instructions.