NPIRS maintains an informal ‘wish list’ of new fields that have been requested for possible implementation in a future version of the NDW. If you would like something added to this list, send your request via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
. However, the formal process of getting the field added would require the following:
- The process for approving additions to the export will be directed by the NPIRS Investment Sponsor, Director of IHS Office of Public Health Support (currently Dr. Richard Church).
- With the concurrence of the NPIRS Investment Sponsor, the project would be submitted to the IHS Information Technology Investment Review Board (ITIRB).
- Adding data elements to the NDW exports will require tribal consultation.
- It will require those who use these data to provide information to convince Tribes, IHS sites, and IHS leadership of the critical importance of their having access to additional data.
- One of the most effective advocacy methods will likely be for programs (requestors) to demonstrate, with ‘real life’ examples, the value of the information these additional data elements could provide.
- Adding data elements to the data the NDW can accept will require changes to both the exports and internal NPIRS processes and databases.
- NPIRS/NDW is entirely outsourced to a contractor.
- Major changes to the NDW will require a task order and additional funding.
- Funding priorities within OIT are debated and established by the Information Systems Advisory Council (ISAC).