August 2014 is National Immunization Awareness Month
Margo Kerrigan, M.P.H, Area Director
Indian Health Service California Area Office
National Immunization Awareness Month
Immunization helps prevent dangerous and sometimes deadly diseases. To stay protected against serious illnesses like the flu, measles, and tuberculosis, adults need to get their shots – just like kids do.
National Immunization Awareness Month is a great time to promote vaccines and remind family, friends, and coworkers to stay up to date on their shots.
How can National Immunization Awareness Month make a difference?
We can all use this month to raise awareness about vaccines and share strategies to increase immunization rates with our community.
The California Area-wide final results for the 3 GPRA immunization measures in 2013 were:
Adult Influenza 65+ : 57.5%
Adult Pneumovax 65+ : 83.9%
Childhood Immunizations (4313*314): 62.2%
Here are just a few ideas:
- Talk to friends and family members about how vaccines aren’t just for kids. People of all ages can get shots to protect them from serious diseases
- Encourage people in your community to get the flu shot every year
- Invite a doctor or nurse to speak to parents about why it’s important for all kids to get vaccinated
Take action to raise awareness about the importance of immunizations:
- Organize a free or low-cost immunization clinic at a local community or health center
- Distribute vaccination record cards with space for people to record the names and dates of their shots. Include helpful facts and phone numbers
- Partner with a school nurse to host an educational event for parents about the importance of immunizations
- Post fliers around your office to remind people to get their shots.
- Work with local summer camps to make sure children get important shots before attending camp
Share These Resources
Get a Shot to Prevent Pneumonia
Get Your Child’s Shots on Schedule
Get Your Pre-teen’s Shots on Schedule
Prepare for a Flu Pandemic
Protect Yourself from Seasonal Flu
Healthy People Topic Area
Immunization and Infections Diseases
Personal Health Tools
Adolescent and Adult Vaccine Quiz
Childhood Immunization Scheduler
Flu Clinic Locator
Traveling Outside the U.S.
Catch-up Immunization Schedule