Is your septic system failing?
Septic system owners should be alert to the following warning signs of a failing system:
- Slowly draining sinks and toilets
- Gurgling sounds in the plumbing
- Plumbing backups
- Sewage odors in the house or yard
- Ground wet or mushy underfoot
- Grass growing faster and greener in one particular area of the yard
- Tests showing the presence of bacteria in well water
None of these warning signs can be considered a sure indication that a system has failed, but the appearance of one or more of them should prompt homeowners to have their systems inspected. Septic system failures also can occur without any of these warning signals. For this reason, yearly inspection of your septic system is recommended and even required by some communities. Information about septic tank inspection is provided later in this guide.