- IHS Home
- Career Opportunities
The federal government also offers a career path through the Commissioned Corps of the US Public Health Service (USPHS). Health professionals interested in pursuing this path will serve as a commissioned officer assigned to the Indian Health Service for a minimum two-year service commitment.
The USPHS is one of the seven Uniformed Services of the United States. However, it is not a branch of the Armed Forces. It provides a spectrum of outstanding federal benefits available to all Uniformed Services.
- Accession bonus (sign-up bonus) varies by specialty and requirement.
- 30 days paid vacation.
- 10 paid federal holidays.
- Sick leave as needed.
- Comprehensive health care.
- Tax-free subsistence housing allowance.
- No-cost malpractice coverage.
- Non-contributory retirement.
- Thrift savings (contributory) retirement.
- Annual continuing education where available.
- Space-available flights on military aircraft.
- US citizenship.
- Physical examination.
- Minimum two-year commitment.
- Must be under 44 at the time of commission.
Visit the United States Public Health Service (USPHS) website for more information on employment and benefits as a Commissioned Corps officer.