Federal Civil Service
An Indian health dental career through the federal civil service gives you an opportunity to serve a medically underserved patient population, offering personal fulfillment while working within a team of health care professionals providing patient-centered care. Flexibility and negotiable starting pay, along with generous federal benefits, make the civil service a compelling choice for both experienced professionals and recent graduates alike.
Civil Service Benefits
- Competitive starting salary and benefits.
- 13 – 26 days paid vacation, depending on experience.
- 10 paid federal holidays.
- Up to 13 days sick leave per year.
- Comprehensive health insurance.
- No-cost malpractice coverage.
- Comprehensive retirement program.
- Thrift savings (contributory) retirement plan with government match.
- Annual continuing education where available.
Civil Service Eligibility
- A US citizen open to a negotiable employment commitment.
- Dentists (DDS or DMD) must hold valid licensure from any US state; Washington, DC; Commonwealth of Puerto Rico; US Virgin Islands; or Guam.
- Registered dental hygienists must complete training in a fully accredited RDH program and have a valid license from any US state; Washington, DC; Commonwealth of Puerto Rico; US Virgin Islands; or Guam.
- There is no age requirement and only one physical requirement (must be able to distinguish shades of color) for civil service employment. Visit the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) for more information on employment and benefits as a federal civil servant.