American Indians Into Nursing Program
The American Indians Into Nursing Program works to increase the number of nurses, nurse midwives, nurse anesthetists and nurse practitioners who deliver health care services to American Indian and Alaska Native (AI/AN) communities. Public and nonprofit private colleges and universities with nursing programs are eligible to apply for the grants.
The primary objectives are:
- To recruit and train AI/AN individuals to be Registered Nurses — Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN), as well as Advanced Practice Nurses — Masters of Science in Nursing (MSN) and Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP).
- To provide scholarships to AI/AN individuals enrolled in schools of nursing to pay tuition, books, fees and stipends for living expenses.
- To provide a program that encourages AI/AN nurses (DNP, MSN, BSN, ADN) to provide or continue to provide health care services in AI/AN health care programs.
- To provide a program that increases the skills of and provides continuing education to AI/AN nurses (graduate and undergraduate).
Grantees financially supported American Indian and Alaska Native nursing students and provided professional development workshops and health career forums.
Grantees for 2019 to 2023 are:
- University of Arizona
- University of North Dakota
- Montana State University
- South Dakota State University
- Salish Kootenai College
Among the ways that grantees have used awards are:
- Providing scholarships for students in the university’s Traditional Pre-Licensure Clinical Nursing program.
- Recruiting American Indians/Alaskan Natives into nursing programs.
- Funding a project to increase the number of nurses prepared to provide health care to Indian people.
- Providing scholarships to students and funding staff members in the College of Nursing who serve as advisers and mentors to students.
For more information, please visit the Federal Register regarding the American Indians Into Nursing Program Grants.
American Indians Into Nursing Program Contact:
Scholarship Branch Chief
Division of Health Professions Support
5600 Fishers Lane
Mail Stop: OHR (11E53A)
Rockville, MD 20857