This topic provides information to educate people with diabetes on the importance of foot care. The outline below is designed to assist educators in developing lesson plans for individual or group sessions. It also provides resources on foot care and diabetes. The education materials are culturally relevant and can be used as a supplement to nationally recognized curricula that diabetes programs may be using already.
Education setting: Individual or Group
- Lesson Outline: Keeping Your Feet Healthy
- Additional Materials for Participants
- Background Materials for Educators
Lesson Outline: Keeping Your Feet Healthy
|Resource and Key Points||Objectives and Goal Setting|
Resource to use: Keeping Your Feet Healthy [PDF – 655 KB]
This two-page patient education handout is designed to complement the conversation between the educator and the participant.
Key Points to Discuss:
By the end of this lesson, the participant will be able to:
Participant will identify steps to take care of their feet.
Diabetes and You: Healthy Feet Matter! [PDF]
Two-page online printable tip sheet provides a to-do list for healthy feet and promotes working with health care team to set and reach goals to manage blood sugar, blood pressure, and cholesterol. Source: National Diabetes Education Program
Find a variety of resources on this website that will help you know how to monitor your feet and prevent complications. Source: American Podiatric Medical Association
Take Care of Your Feet for a Lifetime: A Booklet for People with Diabetes [PDF]
Multicultural printable online booklet describes 11 foot care tips to take care of feet for a lifetime. Includes information on possible support from Medicare and other insurance for special shoes. Source: National Diabetes Education Program
What to Expect at a Foot Exam
Online printable article that describes the components of a comprehensive foot exam. Source: Diabetes Forecast
Diabetes Foot Care Online CME/CE Training
This training provides in-depth information on foot care treatment and prevention of injuries for people with diabetes. It includes videos, treatment algorithms, and clinician and patent education materials. CME/CE credit is available.
Diabetes Treatment Algorithm: Foot Care in Type 2 Diabetes [PDF – 67 KB]
Algorithm describes annual comprehensive foot exam, and assessment for high risk feet and diabetic foot complications and treatment.
Additional Materials for Diabetes Educators
IHS Division of Diabetes Treatment and Prevention Resources
- A variety of materials can be found on the Division of Diabetes Clinician Resources and Standard of Care for Foot Care websites.
- Search the Education Materials and Resources Online Catalog, select the topic "Foot" for materials and resources featuring American Indian and Alaska Native people.
Looking for additional materials?
Read uplifting stories of people and programs making a difference in Indian Country. Also, learn about innovative ideas and activities from SDPI grant programs who are improving the lives of their community members.
Note: The resources listed below do not imply endorsement from IHS, nor does IHS control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of the information on these sites.
- A Guide to Successful Self-Management, 2nd Edition, 2016. Available for purchase from American Association of Diabetes Educators.
- Life with Diabetes, 5th Edition, 2014. Diabetes education curriculum from the Michigan Diabetes Research and Training Center. Available for purchase from American Diabetes Association.
- Type 2 Diabetes BASICS Curriculum Guide, 5th Edition, 2017. Available for purchase from International Diabetes Center.