Find STD diagnosis, screening and treatment recommendations, as well as discussion points for sexual health issues with patients, here.
Chlamydia and Gonorrhea Toolkit – A Health Care Provider’s Guide to Increasing Chlamydia and Gonorrhea Screening Rates (Coming Soon)
CDC STI Treatment Guidelines - 2021
These guidelines for the treatment of persons who have or are at risk for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) were updated by CDC after consultation with a group of professionals knowledgeable in the field of STDs. The information in this report updates the 2015 Guidelines for Treatment of Sexually Transmitted Diseases.
- Sexually Transmitted Infections Treatment Guidelines MMWR July 23, 2021 [PDF]
- CDC STI Treatment Guidelines 2021 Wall Chart [PDF]
- Sexually Transmitted Infections Treatment Guidelines Pocket Guide [PDF]
Expedited Partner Therapy (EPT)
Expedited Partner Therapy (EPT) is the clinical practice of treating the sex partners of patients diagnosed with chlamydia or gonorrhea by providing prescriptions or medications to the patient to take to his or her partner without the health care provider first examining the partner.
IHS Adapted Screening/Treatment/EPT Guidance Documents
ARCHIVED (Updated Documents Coming Soon)
- IHS Sample Policy for STD Screening - ARCHIVED [DOC - 71KB]
- IHS Sample Protocol for STD and HIV Screening and STD Treatment - ARCHIVED [PDF - 103KB]
- Performing a Sexual Risk Assessment - ARCHIVED [PDF - 348KB]
- Patient Delivered Partner Therapy (PDPT) for Patients - ARCHIVED [PDF - 377KB]
- PDPT for Partners (Chlamydia) - ARCHIVED [PDF - 369KB]
- PDPT for Partners (Gonorrhea) - ARCHIVED [PDF - 379KB]
Information to come.
School STD Screening Guidelines
The guidelines were developed to help communities in rural Indian Country implement school-based chlamydia screening projects. Concrete examples from Indian Country where screening had been implemented or attempted are provided, including many of the lessons learned.
Jail STD Screening Guidelines
STD screening is one of many critical public health services that must be provided to high-risk incarcerated populations. STD screening is an effective, jail-based screening program that will benefit both the health of individual detainees and the greater community.
Jail STD Screening Guidelines [PDF - 2.2MB]
Syphilis Outbreak Detection Guidance
This document was developed to give STD programs a framework for understanding their epidemiology, determining if and when an outbreak might be occurring, and determining when additional resources and activities could be needed to prevent further transmission of disease.
Syphilis Outbreak Detection Guidance [PDF - 724KB]