Indian Health Service The Federal Health Program for American Indians and Alaska Natives
HIV is the virus that causes AIDS, and both are growing health issues in our Native population.
Here are some facts:
- CDC estimates over one million people have HIV in the United States (U.S.)
- American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN) are ranked third in the nation for the rate of new infections of HIV when compared with all other races and ethnicities
- HIV is mainly affecting the younger AI/AN population
- Every nine and ½ minutes someone in the U.S. is infected with HIV
- There is no cure or vaccine for HIV/AIDS
What can you do to make sure you don’t get HIV?
- Know you and your partner’s HIV status
- Practice safer sex
- Use condoms, every time
- Limit your number of sexual partners
- Get tested. You can find places to get tested by:
- Visiting your local IHS, Tribal or Urban facility
- Typing your address, city, state or zip code in the widget on this page