The Status: What Has Been Done for the Modernization
There are five stages that the Health IT Modernization Program Management Office is leading to create the new, national EHR system. These stages consist of: Research, Plan, Buy and Build, Deploy, Operate. Major milestones for the Program include
- The U.S. Government Accountability Office Report 19-471 listed RPMS as a “critical federal legacy system in need of modernization”
- Two HHS Office of the Inspector General reports offered ways to improve systems (A-18-16-30540 and A-18-17-11400 )
- Two Requests for Information (RFI), the first around an Industry Day and the second consisting of a Sources Sought for feedback on a Statement of Objectives
- Dear Tribal and Urban Leader Letters released with associated listening sessions held by the IHS
- Established the Division of Health Information Technology Modernization and Operations to manage the Modernization Program, with new positions released on USA Jobs
- Signed Executive Steering Committee Charter which establishes a governing body for the Modernization and guides members to seek and share input from their organizations; participate in planning; make evidence-based decisions; and communicate decisions with their network
- The IHS distributes Dear Tribal/Urban Leader Letters and hosts Tribal Consultation and Urban Confer sessions, alongside Listening Sessions
- Announcing a series of upcoming Tribal Consultation/Urban Confer sessions [PDF] around the Health IT Modernization Program, which include updates, opportunities for participation, and next steps
- Announcing Program updates [PDF] and asking for written feedback to the RFI containing the Statement of Objectives
- Announcing Listening Sessions on the draft Statement of Objectives for the Modernization [PDF]
- Announcing a data call [PDF] to inform tribal health programs and urban Indian organizations’ experiences with electronic health record (EHR) acquisitions and costs
- Announcing the IHS decision for full replacement [PDF] of RPMS after significant Tribal and Urban engagement and input
- Announcing Listening Sessions for input on next steps [PDF] in the Health IT Modernization Program
- Announcing the Strategic Options for the Modernization of the Indian Health Service Health Information Technology Roadmap Executive Summary and Strategic Options for the Modernization of the Indian Health Service Health Information Technology Final Report [PDF]
- Announcing the IHS Health IT Research Project [PDF] and first steps in evaluation options in modernizing health IT
- Announcing two additional Listening Sessions for further input and recommendations [PDF] around how to best modernize the RPMS EHR
- Announcing two Listening Sessions for input and recommendations [PDF] around approaches to best modernize the RPMS EHR
Buy and Build
More Information to come.
More information to come.
More information to come.