The Strategic Plan Development section provides an overview of the development of the IHS Strategic Plan. This section provides links and other supporting documents that contributed to the development of the IHS Strategic Plan FY 2019-2023.
Initial Draft Framework
In September 2017, the IHS initiated tribal consultation and urban Indian confer and gathered feedback from IHS staff on the Initial Draft Framework.
Draft IHS Strategic Plan
In July 2018, the IHS issued the Draft Strategic Plan in the Federal Register . The draft plan is based on the feedback received from 150 Tribes, Tribal Organizations, Urban Indian Organizations, IHS Staff and recommendation from the IHS Strategic Planning Workgroup as described below.
A summary of the comments received on the draft IHS Strategic Plan is available in the IHS Response to Comments on the draft IHS Strategic Plan FY 2018-2022 [PDF - 303 KB] .
HHS Strategic Plan
The IHS developed the draft IHS Strategic Plan based on the format of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Strategic Plan for Fiscal Years (FY) 2018-2022 . The IHS used a process similar to the development of the HHS Strategic Plan including use of goals, objectives and strategies; environmental scans; Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats (SWOT) analysis; and workgroup participation.
Other Source Documents
The IHS used several document to inform the development of the IHS Strategic Plan FY 2019-2023. Please see the list of IHS Strategic Plan Resource Documents [PDF - 146 KB].
Throughout the development of the IHS Strategic Plan, IHS has requested ongoing feedback.
- The timeline lists all strategic plan related activities.
- The IHS Response to Comments summarizes the comments received on the draft IHS Strategic Plan as published in the Federal Register.
- Comments on the Initial Draft Framework received by October 31, 2017 are in the Strategic Plan comments summaries section below.
IHS Strategic Planning Workgroup
- The workgroup reviewed the comments summaries. For more information, see the workgroup meeting summaries section below.
Workgroup: The IHS Strategic Planning Workgroup includes IHS staff at the Area, Service Unit, and Headquarters levels and Tribal leaders or their designees. The workgroup reviewed comments received from 150 Tribes, Tribal Organizations, Urban Indian Organizations and IHS staff on the initial framework and suggested strategies during six meetings over a 3-month period.
- Meeting 1 – November 14, 2017
- Meeting Summary [PDF - 177 KB]
- Meeting Agenda [PDF - 57 KB]]
- Process to Date Presentation [PDF - 236 KB]
- Workgroup Charge and Process Presentation [PDF - 219 KB]
- IHS 2017 Strategic Planning Framework Presentation [PDF - 340 KB]
- Workgroup Discussion Presentation [PDF - 247 KB]
- Strategic Plan Comment List as of 11/06/2017 [PDF - 171 KB]
- Meeting 2 – November 29, 2017
- Meeting Agenda [PDF - 53 KB]
- Workgroup Charge Presentation [PDF - 388 KB]
- Review Process Presentation [PDF - 148 KB]
- Meeting 3 Preparation Presentation [PDF - 155 KB]
- Suggested Strategies as of 11/28/2017 [PDF - 137 KB]
- Workgroup Meeting Summaries
- Meeting 3 – December 13, 2017
- Meeting 4 – January 10, 2018
- Meeting 5 – January 17, 2018
- Meeting 6 – February 1, 2018
- Meeting 1 – November 14, 2017