2012 Catalog: All Courses
To view other courses in this category, use the “Previous” and “Next” buttons.
To select this course and request approval, please login.
Need more help reading this page?
DE0014: Domestic Violence: A Professional Response
|Date: 10/01/2011 - 9/30/2012
||Course Status: Available
|Instructor: Barbara Gerbert
||Director: MARY BETH KINNEY
||Audience: Dentists, Hygienists, Assistants, Support Staff
|Quota: 1 - 1000 students
Hours: 3.00 (Total CDE); 3.00 (DANB Non-Clinical); 3.00 (AGD - 156)
The IHS Division of Oral Health is an ADA CERP Recognized Provider
There is no need to "Register" for this course. Simply login to the CDE and Click on the link to take the ONLINE COURSE in the Additional Info section on the Course Detail page to receive credit.
Domestic violence is a health care problem of epidemic proportions. Oral health providers are in a pivotal position for identifying head, face, and neck injuries typical of domestic violence or child abuse. To raise awareness about this public health issue, the IHS, Division of Oral Health worked with Barbara Gabbert, PhD at the University of California San Francisco, Dental School. Dr. Gabbert developed the AVDR [Ask, Validate, Document, and Refer] program, and IHS, Division of Oral Health incorporated the AVDR DVD into this course.
This course is delivered online and includes interactive activities, lecture, and video demonstrations.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
• Define domestic violence
• Describe the prevalence of domestic violence
• Recognize common physical indicators of abuse
• Apply 4 step intervention with dental patients who present with signs of domestic violence
It is the policy of the Indian Health Service, Division of Oral
Health, that faculty/planners disclose any financial or other relationships with commercial companies whose products may be discussed in the educational activity.
The Indian Health Service, Division of Oral Health, also requires that faculty disclose any unlabeled or investigative use of pharmaceutical products and medical devices.
Images that have been falsified or manipulated to misrepresent treatment outcomes are prohibited.
None of the faculty/planners for this activity has a conflict of interest, and there is no use of unlabeled or investigative pharmaceutical products or medical devices.
No images have been falsified or manipulated to misrepresent treatment outcomes.The educational objectives, content, and selection of educational methods and instructors are conducted
independent of any commercial entity.
Concerns or complaints about this course may be directed to Mary Beth Kinney or to ADA CERP (http://www.ada.org/goto/cerp).
Course developed January, 2007; reviewed December, 2010.
|Intel Pentium II 450MHz or faster processor [or equivalent]||PowerPC G3 500MHz or faster processor|
|128MB of RAM||128MB of RAM|
Operating systems and browsers
Flash Player 8 is supported on the following operating systems and browsers:
|Microsoft Windows 98||Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5, Firefox 1.x, Mozilla 1.x, Netscape 7.x or later, AOL 9, Opera 7.11 or later|
|Windows Me||Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5, Firefox 1.x, Mozilla 1.x, Netscape 7.x or later, AOL 9, Opera 7.11 or later|
|Windows 2000||Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5, Firefox 1.x, Mozilla 1.x, Netscape 7.x or later, AOL 9, Opera 7.11 or later|
|Windows XP||Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5, Firefox 1.x, Mozilla 1.x, Netscape 7.x or later, AOL 9, Opera 7.11 or later|
|Windows Server 2003||Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5, Firefox 1.x, Mozilla 1.x, Netscape 7.x or later, AOL 9, Opera 7.11 or later|
|Mac OS X v.10.1.x, 10.2.x, 10.3.x, or 10.4.x||Internet Explorer 5.2, Firefox 1.x, Mozilla 1.x, Netscape 7.x or later, AOL for Mac OS X, Opera 6, Safari 1.x or later|
This course may contain an audio portion or soundtrack. Please turn on your speakers or use headphones.
Indian Health Service, Division of Oral Health, acknowledges permission from the University of California, San Francisco Dental School to include the AVDR DVD [Copyright © 2005 The Regents of the University of California. All Rights Reserved] in this CDE course. Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this DVD and its documentation for educational, research and non-profit purposes, without fee, and without a written agreement is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice, this paragraph and the following three paragraphs appear in all copies.
- Permission to incorporate this DVD into commercial products may be obtained by contacting the University of California [Joel Kirschbaum, Director, Office of Technology Management, University of California, 185 Berry Street, Suite 4603, San Francisco, CA 94107, Telephone:  353-4472, email@example.com.
- This DVD and documentation are copyrighted by The Regents of the University of California. The DVD and documentation are supplied "as is", without any accompanying services from the University of California. The University of California does not warrant that the operation of the program will be uninterrupted or error-free. The end-user understands that the program was developed for research purposes and is advised not to rely exclusively on the program for any reason.
- In no event shall the University of California be liable to any party for direct, indirect, special, incidental, or consequential damages, including lost profits, arising out of the use of this DVD and its documentation, even if the University of California has been advised of the possibility of such damage. The University of California specifically disclaims any warranties, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. The DVD provided hereunder is on an "as is" basis, and the University of California has no obligations to provide maintenance, support, updates, enhancements, or modifications.
|Tuition Payment Information:
Tuition must be paid in full 8 weeks prior to the start date of any course. Request for refunds must be received in writing at
least two weeks before the course begins. For each refund request, there will be an administrative charge of $100. No refunds will be made to registrants who fail to attend a course.
If IHS CDE program cancels a course, then 100% of the tuition will be refunded.