Training InformationThe Indian Health Service (IHS) is required to:
- Provide training to Employees, Volunteers and Contractors
- Provide training to New Employees no Later than 30 Days After Beginning Work
- Provide Department-Specific Training (i.e. Health Information Management)
- Provide Revised Training when Policies are Revised
- Keep Written or Electronic Documentation of Training for Six Years
As a result, IHS has developed Learn Train & Protect, a comprehensive program for training large groups, small groups, or individuals about IHS's HIPAA-compliant forms, policies and procedures.
Learn Train & Protect includes:
- An Interactive Training Program on CD
- Quick Reference Cards for the Forms
- A Patient Brochure
- Copies of the Forms, Policies and Procedures
The training CD combines text, audio and video in an interactive menu-driven format allowing trainers to easily customize training based on audience needs. The video clips feature IHS employees discussing the importance of HIPAA and how it affects staff and patient interactions everyday.
A printed copy of the training CD content, with audio and video transcripts, is also included in the binder. Two versions (in PowerPoint format) are available on the CD.
- For HIPAA Trainers [PDF-1.29MB]
Includes helpful notes to aid in the training process
- For HIPAA Trainees [PDF-1.28MB]
Specifically for trainees and does not have text in the notes section so that they may take notes or jot down questions.
The Patient Brochure includes bullet points summarizing patients' rights and responsibilities, as well as IHS's rights and responsibilities. It also includes the full Privacy Rule Notice of Privacy Practices that HIPAA regulations require be given to each patient when they first visit a facility after April 14, 2003. When reviewing the notice of privacy practices with patients, we are required to explain what a health record is, or make sure the patient already knows what a health record is, and how the record is used before they sign the acknowledgement of receipt form.
Forms, Policies and Procedures
All of the HIPAA Privacy Rule forms, policies and procedures can be downloaded from the Forms, Policies and Procedures page of this Web site.
The Learn Train & Protect training kit was developed by Horne Creative Group and is available through a GSA contract.