Why is this important?
- Foot ulcers and amputations are often a major cause of complications and disability.
- >75% of amputations are prevented with primary care interventions.
- A simple foot exam will identify those patients at high risk.
- Provide foot care education, podiatry care and appropriate footwear.
- Each visit: remove shoes and socks, inspect feet for acute problems.
- Annually, complete foot exam:
- Obtain Hx: Any previous foot ulcers/amputations?
- Inspect feet: Deformities, skin, vascular problems?
- Palpate foot pulses; measure ABI (Ankle Brachial Index) as needed.
- Conduct sensory testing: 10 gm monofilament & 128 Hz tuning fork.
- Educate patient on home foot care.
- Refer as needed: footwear, wound care, podiatry and vascular.
- Diabetes Foot Care - This training will give you a review of foot care.
- Provides in-depth information on foot care treatment and prevention of injuries.
- Description of a Best Practice is also included.
- CE Credits available.