This section has links to additional health information, publications and guidelines for Americans. If you’re looking for diabetes-related recommendations, tools and tips – these are excellent sources. Discover encouraging materials to support healthy eating, physical activity, and having a positive attitude!
Looking for resources to reach youth at risk for diabetes? Below are links to helpful resources and tools to use for bringing awareness about the benefits of physical activity and maintaining a healthy weight.
Back to Top
Back to Top
- Indian Health Service
- Division of Behavioral Health: Methamphetamine and Suicide Prevention Initiative (MSPI)
The MSPI supports 127 pilot programs across Indian Country. The initiative is a demonstration project for IHS, Tribal, and Urban Indian health programs, to develop and use evidence-based and practice-based models for culturally appropriate prevention and treatment of methamphetamine abuse and suicide.
- IHS Healthy Weight for Life
Promoting a healthy weight across the lifespan is critical to improving the health status and well-being of American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). Across the country, hundreds of thousands of AI/AN participate in innovative nutrition, physical activity and weight management programs.
- Improving Patient Care – Improving the Quality of and Access to Care
The aim of the Improving Patient Care program is to change and improve the Indian Health system. The IPC Foundations Series presents web-based seminars sharing tools and ideas developed by the IPC Collaborative.
- Let’s Move! in Indian Country
Let's Move! in Indian Country (LMIC) seeks to improve the health of American Indian and Alaska Native children, who are affected by childhood obesity at some of the highest rates in the country. Tribal governments, Urban Indian Centers, private businesses, youth leaders, and the non-profit sector are each asked to play a key role by working together to raise the next generation of healthy Native children.
- Step-by-Step Guide to Medicare Diabetes Self-Management Training (DSMT) Reimbursement [PDF - 5.8MB] - Provides information needed to obtain Medicare reimbursement for Diabetes Self-Managment Training (DSMT) services which can significantly improve a patient's access to equality care and can help improve outcomes.
Medical Nutrition Therapy Resources
- Dietitian's Guide to the Electronic Health Record (EHR) [PDF - 3MB]
A tool designed for dietitians and nutritionists in the use of the EHR. The guide illustrates the use of EHR from beginning to end of the patient encounter. The tool can be used as an EHR training guide and a resource for existing EHR users.
- Invest in Nutrition - Medical Nutrition Therapy and Reimbursement
View a recorded CMS sponsored video cast with experts from IHS discussing MNT reimbursement.
- Step-by-Step Guide to Medicare MNT Reimbursement [PDF - 5MB]
Provides information needed to obtain reimbursement for Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT) which helps increase access to MNT services throughout the Indian health care system.