National Health Reform
Congress is considering several bills that could reshape health insurance options available to all Americans. On May 29, 2009, I invited you to send thoughts on national health reforms. We have reviewed the input and suggestions received thus far. We have posted below an analysis and compilation of comments received as of July 30, 2009. We will continue to follow national health reform issues and will post new information as it becomes available, especially as it may relate to Indian country.
Input to IHS about National Health Reform
- May 29, 2009 Invitation to Comment on National Health Reforms
- Read the text of the Director’s Email Invitation
- Response and Scope of Comments
- Comments focused on internal IHS issues. 54 respondents focused on issues related to IHS/tribal health care. Only 21 respondents offered more general views on national health care reforms. Download a chart summarizing the scope of comments and location of respondents.
- Response to the Director's Invitation to Comment on Health Reform (PDF - 237k)
- Comments on National Health Reform
- We have posted a Summary of Comments On National Health Reform
Links to External Sites
Kaiser Family Foundation
The Kaiser Family Foundation has a handy tool for comparing national health care reform proposals, one which can sort by 11 different plans and 17 topics.
National Indian Health Board
The National Indian Health Board has posted a variety of analyses and papers relating national health reform to Indian Country.
Northwest Area Portland Indian Health Board
The Northwest Area Portland Indian Health Board maintains a comprehensive set of links and documents on national health reform & the Indian health system