Legislative History: 103rd Congress – 1993 and 1994PL 103-435 (H.R.4709) To make certain technical corrections, and for other purposes. Related Bills: H.R.564, H.R.2768, H.R.4119. Key provisions of act include:
Section 16 amends the Indian Health Care Improvement Act to: (1) give priority for Indian health personnel advanced training to applicants employed by the Indian Health Service, tribes, or tribal organizations; and (2) include Masters' degrees in the nursing residency program.
Section 22 amends the Indian Self-Determination Act to provide for tribal and Federal advisory committees to ensure tribal participation in such Act's implementation.
- 06/30/1994 – introduced by Rep. Bill Richardson (NM), referred to the House Committee on Natural Resources.
- 07/22/1994 – Hearings Held by the House Subcommittee on Native American Affairs.
- 08/04/1994 – House Subcommittee on Native Americans’ consideration and mark-up session held. Bill then forwarded to Full Committee (Amended) by Voice Vote.
- 07/14/1994 – Executive Comment Requested from Interior by the House Committee.
- 08/10/1994 – House Committee Consideration and Mark-up Session Held. Bill ordered to be Reported (Amended) by Voice Vote.
- 08/16/1994 – Bill Reported (Amended) by the House Committee on Natural Resources. H. Rept. 103-704.
- 08/16/1994 – Mr. Richardson moved to suspend the rules and pass the bill, as amended. H 4709, as amended Agreed to by voice vote. [PDF – 44KB]
- 08/17/1994 – Received in the Senate and read twice and referred to the Committee on Indian Affairs.
- 10/04/1994 – Senate Committee on Indian Affairs ordered bill to be reported with an amendment in the nature of a substitute favorably, without a written report. [PDF – 156KB]
- 10/04/1994 – Senate Floor action, included Amendment SP 2613 proposed by Senator Ford for Senator Inouye, To make a technical correction, and S.AMDT.2614 also proposed by Senator Ford for Senator Inouye to clarify statutory construction. Both amendments agreed to by voice vote.
- 10/04/1994 – HR4709 passed Senate with an amendment by Voice Vote. [PDF – 48KB]
- 10/07/1994 – In the House, Mr. Richardson asked unanimous consent that the House agree to the Senate amendment, and bill passed without objection. Bill also cleared for the White House.
- 10/24/1994 – Presented to President. [PDF – 47KB]
- 11/02/1994 – Signed by President becoming Public Law No: 103-435.