DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
Public Health Service
Indian Health Service|
Rockville MD 20857
FEB 7 1996
TO: Director of Headquarters Operations
SUBJECT: Delegation of Authority for Approval of Reduction in
Force, Furlough, and Changes to Competitive Areas
Authority Delegated and to Whom
1. Pursuant to the authority delegated to the Director, Indian
Health Service (IHS), by the Assistant Secretary for
Management and Budget, on October 25, 1995, I hereby delegate
to the Director of Headquarters Operations (DHO), the
a. To approve Reduction in Force (RIFs)
b. To approve furloughs
c. To make changes in competitive areas for positions in the IHS.
2. The above authorities may be redelegated with further
3. In cases of furloughs, or RIP's involving separation of
employees, written notification of the proposed action must
be received by the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Human
Resources (DASRR) before specific notices are issued.
4. No prior approval is required to effect personnel actions
resulting from transfers of function. However, when the
transfers involve the movement of employees to other
commuting areas, tho DASHR must be notified in writing before
transfer offers are made to employees.
Information and Guidance
5. Written notification of the proposed actions of 3. and 4. above must be submitted to the DASHR by the Director, DPM,
OHR, before specific notices are issued.
6. Requirements and instructions for exercising this authority
are contained in Health and Human Sarvices (HHS) Personnel
Instruction 351-1, Reduction in Force (RIF), dated
October 25, 1995,; and must be used in conjunction with
subsequent HHS instructions, related materials issued by the
Office of Personnel Management, 5 Code of Federal Regulations
Part 351, and any other requirements and regulations issued
for employees entitled to Indian Preference.
7. This delegation supemmde6 the delegation of authority
delegated to the Director IHS, without authority for further
delegation, by the Deputy Assistant Secretary fm Health
Management Operations, dated March 30, 1994, Subject:
Delegation of Authority to Conduct Reductions in Force.
8. This delegation is effective upon date of signature.
Michael H. Trujillo, M.D., M.P.H
Assistant Surgeon General
Back To Top