AUG 8 1995
TO: See Below
FROM: Acting Associate Director
SUBJECT: Delegation of Authority for Performance Appraisal Provisions Under the Performance Management System
Authority Delegated and to Whom
1. Pursuant to the authority delegated to the Associate Director, Office of Human Resources by the Acting Director of Headquarters Operations on JUL 18 1995, I hereby delegate to the IHS Associate Directors listed below, for employees within their respective Offices, the authority to determine whether temporary employees may be permitted to serve without a performance evaluation in accordance with the provisions of 5 U.S.C. 4301, and 5 CFR 430.202(b)(2).
2. The Assistant Secretary for Personnel Administration (ASPER) reaffirmed the following delegations.
a. To immediate supervisors, through the officials in the supervisory line above them, the authorities of an appraising official as set forth in the Department Health and Human Services (HHS) Instruction 430-4 for employees under their supervision.
b. To second line supervisors, through the officials in the supervisory line above them, the authorities of a reviewing official ass et forth in HHS instruction includes the authority to finalize ratings of record except as indicated in paragraph c. and below However, there is no requirement for a reviewing official in any instance in which the Director, IHS. is the appraising official.
c. to officials with the responsibility for managing performance awards budgets, the authority to finalize ratings of record when award6 are proposed based on the rating of record. (Within-grade increase determinations are not awards for the purpose of this delegation.)
3. The ASPRR retains the authority to:
a. Establish Departmentwide requirements for performance appraisal systems.
b. Approve exceptions to the Departments requirements, contingent upon subsequent approval by United States Office of Personnel Management where required.
4. The authority delegated in paragraph6 1. above may not be further redelegated.
Information and Guidance
5. Requirements and instructions for exercising this authority are contained in 5 U.S.C. Chapter 43, 5 CFR Part 430, the HHS Performance Management Plan, and HHS and PHS Personnel Instructions 430-4.
6. This delegation supersedes the following delegations of authority memoranda as indicated:
a. Delegation of Authority Memorandum from the Associate Director, Office of Administration and Management, to All Associate Director6 and to the Associate Director, OHPRD, Subject: Delegation of Authority for Planning and Appraising the Performance of Employees Covered by the Performance Management and Recognition System, dated June 17, 1992.
b. Delegation of Authority Hemorandum to the Associate Directors and Associate Director, OHPRD, from the Associate Director, Office of Administration and Management, Subject: Delegation of Authority for Performance Management System, dated September 14, 1992.
7. This delegation is effective upon date of signature.
/Robert G. McSwain/ Robert G. McSwain
Associate Director, Office of Administration and Management
Back To Top | Previous Page