New documents & listing has been added to the Formulary page:
New documents have been added to the Resources page:
To raise the health of American Indians and Alaska Natives by increasing access to highly effective medications through robust formulary management and education of clinicians within the Indian Health Systems.
The IHS National Pharmacy & Therapeutics Committee (NPTC) is looked to by the Indian Health System as its primary resource for improving the value, quality, and access to medical care and pharmacotherapy.
- Parity - The National Core Formulary (NCF) provides parity across the Indian Health System by seeking to minimize variability and assuring access to standard of care medication options between facilities for commonly encountered disease states.
- Portability - The NCF helps to assure access to a standard core set of medications for our patients who seek care at other IHS facilities when traveling away from their medical home.
- Quality - The NCF is built upon a platform of:
- providing an evidenced based approach to analyzing medications for inclusion to the NCF.
- utilizing IHS subject matter experts for clinical expertise.
- seeking input from IHS clinicians on practical matters related to day-to-day usage of medications.
- Safety - The NPTC through the NCF seeks to improve safety by providing improved familiarity to a core set of medications and by reducing the amount of switching of medications when patients seek care away from their medical home.
- Convenience - The NPTC provides comprehensive drug and drug class reviews, formulary management tools, and clinical guidance allowing local P&T committees to focus on site-specific formulary matters and reduce duplication of efforts between sites.
- Cost - The NPTC pair's pharmacoeconomic analysis with evidence-based clinical review and usage data to determine what product or group of products provides the most value, clinically and economically.
CAPT S. Miles Rudd, MD, FAAFP - Chair, IHS NPTC
CAPT Travis Watts, PharmD, BCPS - Vice-Chair, IHS NPTC