Career Paths and Benefits The IHS Advantage
- USPHS Commissioned Corps
- Federal Civil Service
- Direct Tribal Hire
- PHARMACIST JOBS - IHS Job Vacancies
For Information About Federal Civil Service Opportunities Contact:
Damion Killsback, Pharm.D.
IHS Pharmacist Recruiter
Indian Health Service
12300 Twinbrook Parkway
Rockville, MD 20852
Phone: (301) 443-2472
Fax: (301) 443-6048
Federal Civil Service
Some IHS public health professionals, particularly those with prior federal employment, choose to join us through the federal Civil Service personnel system. This entry path offers career flexibility and generous federal employee benefits. Because there are no age or physical requirements, the federal Civil Service is an attractive choice for experienced professionals and recent graduates alike.
Civil service is the United States government civilian personnel system.
To qualify for the Federal Civil Service, the following requirements must be met:
- Must be in good physical health
- Must have graduated from an ACPE accredited school of pharmacy
- Must be licensed as a pharmacist under a pharmacy practice act in one of the 50 states
How to Apply for Civil Service Positions
- Obtain a civil service application form (either the OF-612 or SF 171) from your nearest Federal building or through the FirstGov website
- Obtain a copy of the job announcement and submit written responses to the information requested along with a copy of your resume to the specific facility's Personnel Department
- Competitive starting salary and benefits
- Negotiable employment commitment
- 10 paid federal holidays
- Annual continuing education*
- Up to 13 days sick leave per year
- Comprehensive retirement program
- Comprehensive health care
- No-cost malpractice coverage
- No overhead expenses
- Thrift savings (contributory) retirement plan with government match
- Up to five years of retirement credit transferable to employment with the Commissioned Corps
*While continuing education in a variety of fields is available at all sites, cost reimbursement may vary.
- US citizenship (Note: Under Executive Order 11935, only US citizens and nationals may be appointed to competitive service federal jobs. Exceptions can be made permitting the federal Civil Service to hire certain non-citizens when there are no qualified US citizens available, unless the appointment is prohibited by statute. For more information about citizenship requirements, please visit the Office of Personnel Management ).
- Pharmacy Degree
- Valid Pharmacy License from any US state