Skip to site content

Indian Health Service The Federal Health Program for American Indians and Alaska Natives

A student does his homework

Malpractice Information for Medical Student and Residency Rotations

Medical students interested in electives must have verified private liability coverage extended from their training programs.

Residents can obtain liability coverage at IHS and Tribal facilities in the following ways:

  1. Most commonly, the residency program covers the resident as part of its institutional policy. A resident doing rotations at an IHS1. facility must have verification of medical malpractice insurance coverage. A collaborative agreement with the training institution should. state that the residency program's liability insurance will be responsible for any acts of professional negligence.
  2. If residents are hired as federal employees, they receive Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA) coverage through the federal government.
  3. If residents are hired through personal service contracts, they may be eligible for FTCA coverage through the federal government.

For more information, visit our Risk Management Web site.