IHS Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative
The IHS Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative is working to create a healthy start for babies and prevent childhood obesity. As part of this initiative, IHS is encouraging clinicians in Indian Country to support policies and practices that foster breastfeeding as the exclusive feeding choice for infants in their first six months of life. By doing so, clinicians will reduce current and future medical problems and decrease health care costs. This initiative will use quality improvement processes to improve breastfeeding rates through new maternity care and infant feeding practices.
We encourage clinicians in Indian Country who serve new mothers to familiarize themselves with the:
Baby-Friendly® is a registered certification mark of UNICEF
IHS Hospitals Designated as Baby-Friendly
- Claremore Indian Hospital in Claremore, OK
- Phoenix Indian Medical Center in Phoenix, AZ
- Pine Ridge Hospital in Pine Ridge, SD
- Quentin N. Burdick Memorial Health Care Facility in Belcourt, ND
- Rosebud Indian Hospital in Rosebud, SD
- Whiteriver Indian Hospital in Whiteriver, AZ
- Zuni Comprehensive Community Health Center in Zuni, NM
By supporting mothers who choose to breastfeed, the Indian Health Service will reduce current and future medical problems and decrease health care costs.
Dr. Yvette Roubideaux