Handle Workplace Conflicts
Dealing with conflicts at the workplace?
- Conflicts often happen in work settings.
- Conflicts are usually an expressed struggle over scarce resources.
- The goals of conflict resolution are to solve the problem and preserve the relationship.
Every time a conflict arises, think of this ‘terrific’ (TRFC) acronym or Roadmap:
- T – Topic: What is this conflict about?
- Listen to what your feelings are telling you about the interaction
- If you keep getting the same response, you should try something new or different
- R – Relationship: Who are we to each other?
- Pay attention to gestures, voice tone, eye contact
- Short, quick or passive responses let you know that you need to work on the relationship between you and your client before you can move on
- Defensive or arguing responses are indicators as well
- Try to understand where your client is coming from
- F – Face Saving: Preserving Dignity
- Keep things positive and avoid any sense of failure
- C – Communication Strategy
- Use group to brainstorm ideas for discussion and resolution
- Delegate responsibilities