Complete Diabetic Foot Exam
- 10 gm monofilament
- 128 Hz tuning fork
- Good lighting
- Comfortable place for the patient to put their feet up
- Foot cleaning station or clean drape and non-sterile gloves
- Ask patient if they have had any previous foot problems.
- Ask patient if they are currently having foot problems.
- Under good lighting, check feet and between the toes for sores, calluses, infections, fissures, cracks and deformities.
- Check each foot for pulses:
- Posterior tibial pulse - behind the ankle bone.
- Dorsalis pedis pulse - on top of the foot, just below the ankle.
- Next conduct a monofilament exam.
- Consider an optional test, Vibration Sensation Exam using a tuning fork.