Personnel Delegation #17
GRANT LEAVE, EXCUSE ABSENCE, APPROVE 0VERTIME
AND APPROVE RESTORATION OF ANNUAL LEAVE
GENERAL: EXHIBIT 1-5.2F-1
DELEGATIONS OF AUTHORITY
SUBJECT: GRANT LEAVE, EXCUSE ABSENCE, APPROVE 0VERTIME AND APPROVE RESTORATION OF ANNUAL LEAVE
Pursuant to the authority delegated to me by the Administrator, Health Resources and Services Administration (ERSA), on August 26, 1987, I hereby delegate to the following officials the authority to:
- Grant accrued and accumulated annual leave and Sick leave and other types of paid leave authorized by law or regulation;
- Approve the advance of annual and sick leave up to 40 hours for each category of leave;
- Approve leave without pay (LWOP), up to an accumulative amount of 40 hours in a calendar year;
- Require employees to take involuntary leave, or charge employees with absence without leave (AWOL); and
- Excuse absence without charge to leave for occasional, unavoidable absences of less than 1 hour per day.
|TO WHOM DELEGATED||AREA OF AUTHORITY|
The Leave Approving Officer
(The Immediate Supervisor)
|The respective reporting unit consisting of all employees under the direct supervision of one supervisor.|
The following restrictions apply.
- NO EMPLOYEE MAY APPROVE HIS/HER OWN LEAVE.
- All leave for Area Directors is required to be approved prior to leave being taken. Proposed leave is requested to be submitted along with the quarterly travel plan fifteen (15) days before each quarter to the Director, Indian Health Service.
Emergent or unplanned leave must be communicated by telephone to the Office of the Director Indian Health Service, by the designated Acting Director, Area Office, on the day leave is taken by the Area Director.
- Employees whose duty station is not physically located in the same location as their immediate supervisor are required to have their leave approved prior to the leave being taken by their leave approving officer. Emergent or unplanned leave will be communicated to their immediate supervisor by telephone on the day of leave being taken by the designated acting official or the employee
NOTE: Officials in line of supervision over those whom an authority has been delegated are also authorized to exercise that authority to the extent that it has been delegated to their subordinates
- Pursuant to delegated to me by the Administrator, HRSA, on August 26, 1987 I hereby delegate to the following officials the authority cited under No. 1 above and the authority to:
- Approve regularly scheduled overtime;
- Approve irregular and occasional overtime
- Approve the advance of annual and sick leave beyond 40 hours for each category of leave
- Approve leave without pay, require employees to take involuntary leave, or charge employees with absence without leave;
- Excuse absence beyond 1 hour without charge to leave to the extent permitted by law, regulation and policy.
DELEGATED TO AREA OF AUTHORITY Deputy Director Service Wide Associate Director, Office of Administration and Management Service Wide Associate Director, Office of Health Programs Respective Organization Associate Director, Office of Planning, Evaluation and Legislation Respective Organization Associate Director, Office of Environmental Health and Engineering Respective Organization Associate Director, Office of Tribal Activities Respective Organization Associate Director, Office of Health Programs Development Tucson, Arizona Director, Clinical Support Branch Respective Program Area Directors Respective Area Deputy Directors Respective Area Area Chief Medical Officers Respective Area Executive Officers Respective Area Administrative Coordinator Albuquerque Hdqtrs Program Service Unit Directors Respective Service Unit Administrative Officers Respective Service Unit
The authority to approve regularly scheduled overtime, and irregular and occasional overtime may be redelegated but must be exercised by the second level of supervisor or higher except that it may be redelegated to the first-level supervisor when the second-level supervisor is not in the same commuting area. All Headquarters authorizations for overtime shall be processed in accordance with the procedures outlined in the IHS Circular 84-3.
- Pursuant to the authority delegated to me by the administrator, HRSA; on August: 26;1987, I hereby delegate to the following officials the authority to make the determination that conditions exist which permit restoration of annual leave (under the Provision of section 6304, Title 5, U.S. Code)
|DELEGATED TO||AREA OF AUTHORITY|
|Deputy Director||Service Wide|
|Associate Director, Office of Administration and Management||Service Wide|
|Associate Director, Office of Health Programs||Respective Organization|
|Associate Director, Office of Planning, Evaluation and Legislation||Respective Organization|
|Associate Director, Office of Environmental Health and Engineering||Respective organization|
|Associate Director, Office of Tribal Activities||Respective Organization|
|Associate Director, Office of Health Program Development||Tucson, Arizona|
|Director, Clinical Support Branch||Respective Program|
|Area Director||Respective Area|
|Deputy Directors||Respective Area|
|Area Chief Medical Officers||Respective Area|
|Executive Officers||Respective Area|
|Administrative Coordinator||Albuquerque Hdqtrs Program|
|Service Unit Directors||Respective Service Unit|
AUTHORITY TO REDELEGATE
This authority may not be redelegated.
A designated official may not exercise this authority if the official is in the immediate organizational unit affected by the exigency or if the official would be affected by the decision. In such cases, the authority shall be exercised by the Director, Indian Health Service or one of the officials listed above whose Area of Authority is Service Wide.
EXCLUSIONS OR LIMITATIONS
- This delegation dots not include the authority to:
- Approve irregular and occasional or regularly scheduled overtime payment for work performed at home (BBS Personnel instruction 300-2). The prior approval of the Assistant Secretary for Personnel Administration (ASPER) must be obtained before such overtime is authorized.
- Authorize additional compensation on an annual basis for special types of assignments as authorized under OPM regulation 550.141. The Director, Office of Personnel Management, PHS, retains authority to authorize annual compensation under this regulation
- Authorize additional compensation on en annual basis for special types of assignments as authorized under OPM regulation 550.151. The ASPER or his/her designee retains authority to authorize additional annual compensation under this regulation.
- Excuse absence by temporarily closing a Department workplace. This authority is exercised by officials designated in Instruction 610-3 of the HHS Personnel Manual.
- This delegation excludes authority for personnel staffs in or under Indian Health Service Area Offices. The Assistant Secretary for Personnel Administration (ASPER) delegated the authorities cited under 1.(a) and l.(b) above to the Regional-Directors for the personnel staffs of each Indian Health Service (IHS) Area that has its Area Office in their respective regions. The authorities for these personnel staffs must be redelegated with further redelegation authorized. Redelegation is to be from the Regional Directors to the Regional Personnel Officers, who are to redelegate to the IHS Area Directors for their personnel staffs.
INFORMATION AND GUIDANCE
Requirements and instructions for exercising these authorities are contained in HHS Personnel Instruction 532-4, 550-l. and 630-1.
This delegation supersedes prior delegation dated January 31, 1986.
This delegation is effective upon date of signature.
Division of Indian Health
TN 87.11 ----- (11/2/87) ----- Indian Health Manual
Back To Top | Previous Page