Indian Health Service The Federal Health Program for American Indians and Alaska Natives
- IHS Home
- Career Opportunities
Many health professionals choose to pursue a career in Indian health through the federal civil service personnel system. This well-traveled path provides great career flexibility and generous federal employee benefits. Plus, as there are no age or physical eligibility requirements, the civil service is a compelling choice for both experienced professionals and recent graduates alike.
- Competitive starting salary and benefits.
- 13 - 26 days paid vacation, depending on experience.
- 10 paid federal holidays.
- Up to 13 days sick leave per year.
- Comprehensive health insurance.
- No-cost malpractice coverage.
- Comprehensive retirement program.
- Thrift savings (contributory) retirement plan with government match.
- Annual continuing education where available.
- US citizenship (Note: Under Executive Order 11935, only US citizens and nationals may be appointed to competitive service federal jobs. Exceptions can be made permitting the federal civil service to hire certain non-citizens when there are no qualified US citizens available, unless the appointment is prohibited by statute.)
Visit the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) website for more information on employment and benefits as a federal civil servant.