Elder Wellness and Health Information for Patients, Family and Friends
We can all work together to improve Elder Wellness and Health. These resources provide valuable information on improving and maintaining elder health.
General Information and Resources
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) - Central website for Medicaid, Medicare, and the Health Insurance Exchanges.
HealthCare.gov - learn what health care reform, the Affordable Care Act, means for you and your family.
The National Institute on Aging (NIA) has a collection free senior-focused publications on health and other topics that may be downloaded or ordered from their website.
NICOA - the National Indian Council on Aging is the leading national advocate for American Indian and Alaska Native elders.
Social Security Administration - information about retirement and disability benefits.
Older Adult Health - MedlinePlus
Tribal Long Term Care Technical Assistance Center - a CMS, IHS, and ACL resource that provides technical assistance resources to help communities create effective long term services and supports for American Indian and Alaska Native elders.
VA Caregiver Support - learn about how VA supports caregivers where to find help.
Alzheimer's Disease Fact Sheet - National Institute on Aging
Alzheimer's Disease - MedlinePlus
Alzheimers.gov - the Alzheimer's website from HHS.
- American Diabetes Association
- American Indian/Alaska Native Fat and Calorie Counter
- CDC Vital Sign Infographic - Native American with Diabetes
- Diabetes in Indian Country, Annotated Literature Review - CMS [PDF - 800 KB] - report with links to articles on diabetes research.
- Diabetes in Older People - National Institute on Aging
- NIH National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
- National Kidney Disease Education Program
- The Road to Health – Blaze Your Own Trail to Healthy Living flipchart
Caregiver Support Resources
- National Institute on Aging Caregiving Resources
- VA Caregiver Support - Learn how VA supports caregivers and where to find help.
- What is Long-term Care? - National Institute on Aging
Palliative Care and Hospice
Palliative care focuses on relieving symptoms of those experiencing serious and life-limiting illness and their treatments. Hospice care end-of-life palliative care to make a patient's days as comfortable and free of suffering as possible.