Indian Health Service The Federal Health Program for American Indians and Alaska Natives
National Quit Hotline800-Quit-Now (800-784-8669)
Stay healthy by not using commercial tobacco products and be a positive role model for your loved ones, family, and community.
- Money in your pocket from not buying commercial tobacco products
- Positive role model for your loved ones
- No exposure to secondary smoke
- No tobacco breath
If you are currently using tobacco products, there are many benefits of quitting. If you are a smoker, quitting will reduce your chance of having:
- Cancer of the lungs, throat, mouth, lips, gums, bladder and kidney
- Heart disease, hardening of the arteries, and stroke
- Emphysema and other lung diseases
- Circulation problems.
If you have children, your quitting can lower their risk of:
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) - (cot death)
- Ear infections
- Bronchitis and other lung problems.
Do you know about third hand tobacco smoke?
3rd hand tobacco smoke remains in clothes, hair, and surroundings after a cigarette is extinguished. The chemicals in tobacco smoke are found in clothes, walls, ceilings, curtains and skin of smokers. When they touch another person or hug a child, those toxins are transferred to them.
Tobacco use is responsible for more than 430,000 deaths each year and is the largest cause of preventable morbidity and mortality in the United States.