Stay healthy by not using commercial tobacco products and be a positive role model for your loved ones, family, and community.
Benefits of Not Smoking
- Money in your pocket from not buying commercial tobacco products
- Positive role model for your loved ones
- No exposure to secondary smoke
- No tobacco breath
If you are currently using tobacco products, there are many benefits of quitting. If you are a smoker, quitting will reduce your chance of having:
- Cancer of the lungs, throat, mouth, lips, gums, bladder and kidney
- Heart disease, hardening of the arteries, and stroke
- Emphysema and other lung diseases
- Circulation problems.
If you have children, your quitting can lower their risk from second hand smoke of:
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) - (cot death)
- Ear infections
- Bronchitis and other lung problems.
Do you know about third hand tobacco smoke?
Third hand tobacco smoke remains in clothes, hair, and surroundings after a cigarette is extinguished. The chemicals in tobacco smoke are found in clothes, walls, ceilings, curtains and skin of smokers. When they touch another person or hug a child, those toxins are transferred to them.
Ready to Quit?
If you currently smoke and are ready to quit, please contact your local IHS or Tribal Clinic or call 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669).